Friday, November 2, 2007

Update!

I was delayed for this week’s badminton due to Halloween celebrations with my daughter. I wish I could spend some more time with my daughter trick or treating but its cold and dark weather outside. As I went into the club, there were only a few people at the club. The first two matches went real close though we pulled out 22-20 (Badminton scores are first to 21 with a difference of 2 points). Didn’t really settle into a good rhythm. I lost track of rest of the matches. My winning percentage is around 75-80% in Badminton. Yesterday I guess it is probably around 65%. As I indicated earlier, this is pretty common during early part of season and early sessions of a new fitness program. By next week (worst case the week after), I will be good.

I will be playing Tennis next Monday after all. I was able to work out the schedule and looking forward to it. It appears that I carried over my last session results and I am placed in a different group of people. My friend tells me that this group is 1 level up in the ladder than the group I played before. If that’s true, then I am moving up. If not, no big deal.

The challenge now could be, I am playing against supposedly better players and I haven’t played any of them before. So how would I approach this situation? I got scouting information on one of the opponent but I am a different opponent and a different day. So who knows? My gut is that I should just go and play my game (this is what most of the Pro’s say they do). Use Serve to win some easy points and try dictating play. One problem with players in this ladder is that most of them slice the ball a lot. Slices cause the ball to stay low and then bite the court. It is very hard to get an offensive shot of a low slice. The good part is it is more difficult to slice from forehand and my strategy is probably match up my Forehand against theirs. If I play the way I am capable of, I can come out on top. If not, I will probably be relegated back to the old group.

I didn’t get a chance to work out Thursday. So in some ways it is like having a two days break (if I discount Wednesday’s badminton). I am eager to work out today and polish off a few more pounds/calories.

In Summary here is my build up to Monday
1) Work out Friday, Saturday evening and then do some light work on Sunday midday. This way I will get 1.5 days to recover before Monday match.
2) Drink plenty of fluids on Sunday and Monday.
3) Stay Aggressive and use the Kick serve more than first serve.
4) Do some Serve and Volley.

On last point. I am 20-22 so far. Still a loosing record.Not sure how i ended up in upper group of the ladder.

No comments: