Thursday, November 8, 2007

Retrospect

A day after getting schooled on the tennis court, I am trying to do a post mortem and see if there are things I can use to my advantage.

It is very easy to think that I can dominate with a better backhand. The problem is getting a dominant backhand. I have tried it unsuccessfully over the years with 2Handed backhand, one handed backhand and event play left handed. This is a more fundamental/Architectural problem. I have the same weakness is just about any sport I play (Cricket, Badminton, racquet ball). I frankly don’t believe I can get a better backhand by playing Matches. I need to spend solid hours with a ball machine/ coach. In the coming weeks I will work out a plan. I am too competitive to let go of such an opportunity.

Use of Forehand: In the past I won matches by playing a calculated game. I would wait (push) until the ball is there to be hit. I would setup the point by hitting some heavy topspin ground strokes. However in the ladder, I am trying to go for the shots too early with out working the point. I have to go back to the basics of point construction.

Serve: Undoubtedly best part of my game. However I need to add a Side spin element to the serve to make it fully dominant. Though I hit a decent pace, most players often block the ball back and try to play through the point. I try to mitigate this by varying my serve placement. A side spin serve would ensure that a block to the serve won’t be enough as the ball would just fly out or find into the net due to the spin. However this needs a lot of court time and probably will need to wait until spring.

Quickness: Past two years I was very quick on my feet and used to be in position most of the times. Anticipation is good as well. I don’t think I am that quick this year (Age?fitness??). I am working real hard on fitness. I may need to incorporate jogging/running into the fitness regime as Elliptical alone may not get me to be quick on my feet.


Enjoy the game: I always used to enjoy the time I spend on a tennis court. Since the tennis ladder, I don’t get that feeling. If anything I feel like I have to really win the games. Realistically it doesn’t matter even if I top the league (except for some confidence boosting). The objective of joining the ladder is to experience playing against various players and improve the game. I need to get back to enjoy the time on court. Once you get to that stage, things will automatically work.

No comments: