Tuesday, November 13, 2007

How to Enjoy the Game!

One of the keys to a good performance in any sport is to actually enjoy the game. If you like what you are doing, you are more likely to put your best effort and win matches.

So how does one enjoy the game? It depends on what one is looking for in the game. Lets take tennis. What do I like to do in Tennis? If given a choice I would like to serve really well with a barrage of aces, Hit some breath taking forehands and fire up some backhand winners.

With me so far? Good. Most of us might play like that on a Blue moon day. Unless your name happens to be Roger Federer, you are unlikely to do that on a regular basis against competitive opponents.

An extremely important aspect of enjoying the game is to review the requirements of the style you want to play. Eg:- In Basket ball, I would like to play an up tempo game like Kobe Bryant or Dirk Nowitzki. In order to play their style what do I need? Loads of stamina (fitness), explosive, flexible body and extremely good hand eye coordination besides the Game skills.

Next step is to identify gaps and take adequate steps in that direction to acquire those requirements. Start hitting the Gym and work with a fitness consultant to develop that kind of fitness levels. Do some pilates to get that flexibility. Play a lot of video games and other such exercises that help develop great hand eye coordination. Now you have put yourselves in a position to actually play and learn the game in the way you want to play.

I can cite my own example of this. A few years ago when I started playing badminton, I realized that I don’t have the same skill as some of the other gifted players in my club do. I also realized that I am really not the finesse player kind of person. I love to over power opponents. I believed that I can outlast most of these players and run around on my weak spots to get an offensive shot. This has to be done every game for 3 hours. I quickly realized that this style needs lot of stamina and strategy. I worked on my fitness and eventually got to a point where it is no longer an issue. Then I started working on some strength exercises to beef up my offensive shots. Finally I started playing the style I wanted to play regardless of the result. First few sessions weren’t too encouraging but I was able to play the same style of play for whole 3 hours with out tiring myself out. Eventually it started to work (it has to and it will) and results were there to be seen. It improved so much to the point that people no longer hit shots above my shoulder level as they know that I wouldn’t hesitate to fire up an offensive smash and most times make the shot. They chose to keep it to my backhand or drop shot me at the net.

For my Tennis game that I can enjoy, I need fitness and quickness. The mechanics of shot making can be learnt over time and has to be mastered with practice. However in order to put me in that position to learn and master the game, I first need Fitness and then quickness.

Thanks to my hard work over the past 4 weeks. Fitness is no longer an issue. Next up is quickness. There is no magic here, I got to get lighter (drop weight) and work out some drills that can improve it. Then I can start enjoying the game even more because I am actually trying to play the way I want to play (even if it is practice).

No comments: