Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Outplayed—Monday night ladder 05 Nov 2007

I will make this post real simple. I won a total of 5 games out of 21.

I played against players who are more consistent than me. Opponent #1 (frank) is slightly older guy and employs slice of both wings. I had trouble whenever he went to my backhand and he picked my weakness very early. Honestly I have more than enough game to beat this guy but I didn’t play right. I went for shots too early and I lost lot of points. Out of 7 games, 5 games went to deuce and I didn’t win any of them. I employed Volleys and won 50% of those points. My first serve percentage was way off (30%). In total I won 2 games against this guy.

Opponent #2 (Andy) is a better player than me. It’s as simple as that. He can play off both wings and he killed me with his volleys. I couldn’t lob over him as his approach shots are good and I was always out of position. I served good enough to win 1 game. 3 games went to Deuce but I didn’t win any of them.

Opponent #3 (Paul?) is better than me but I felt was beatable. He has a nasty spin on his serve whenever he got in and that troubled me a lot. He is again very consistent off both sides. I won 2 games against him both on my serve. There were like 4 Deuce games and I won only 1 (on my serve).

Disappointing performance? YES. I really didn’t have a clue of what exactly is happening. I played with out any purpose and chose wrong shots at the wrong time. I played catch up all night. I tried being aggressive to see if I can impose my game but that failed miserably. Towards the end I felt very bad about my game.

The good part is I didn’t “PUSH” yesterday. I played positive tennis. I could see that I have more firepower in my forehand than these players (supposedly on top bracket) and a decent serve (albeit not as Spinny as #2 and #3). I didn’t have any fitness issues. It’s a matter of putting it all together. Yes.. Backhand is a liability and I don’t think I can win big matches with out improving that.

(I had a cold attack yesterday and spent a miserable night. However I don’t think that has any bearing on the match)

I won’t be playing the next two weeks. My next session is on Nov 26. Given yesterday’s performance, I will be relegated to the Bottom cellar of the ladder. When I open on Nov 26, I will start with players at the bottom of the draw. Hopefully a good performance then can put me back on top bracket. I would like another crack at the top bracket opponents.

For now the focus will be on Badminton and fitness.

1 comment:

Jack said...

hang in there..you are an awesome player...you will learn and overcome...:
"...actions flowed from us with a kind of effortless excellence. Athletes have called this state, "playing in the zone." Generally at these times our mind is quiet and focused. But whatever it's called, when we're there, we excel, we learn, and we enjoy ourselves...."