Friday, March 7, 2008

Sword from Sheath

I haven’t played Tennis since Feb 24. I am still officially in the ladder currently at the bottom cellar (not exactly, I still have 5 guys who are ranked behind me) though I haven’t played since Feb. 14. I am contemplating on playing one last time at the ladder for this season. I may play this Monday.

Flu season or something, I am not feeling 100% most of the days though I still haven’t skipped any workout session. I started weights again and they will be part of my program. So I am on target as far as the goal of staying fit and ready for the Outdoor tennis season.

A word on my badminton last two weeks. Very bad, especially the last week. No rhythm- no execution- poor results. Part of the problem is it is taking a very long time for me to warm up. I don’t know if it is good or bad. I have seen this in my work outs as well. Usually in my work outs, I warm up somewhere around 10 minute mark. In the past week, for whatever reason I didn’t really feel the exercising zing until 20+ minutes , leaving too less a time as I don’t spend more than 30 minutes. In badminton, it translated to almost 2 hrs—basically a game or two before I am ready to head back home. However yesterday’s workout felt good after a long time. May be the Flu/congestion is going away.

Coming to the topic, I have been researching a lot on improving my backhand. I came across this analogy/concept that accurately describes hitting a one handed Backhand (1HBH). The motion of hitting a 1HBH is similar to drawing a sword from the sheath. Great way to easily describe the concept. I took a few practice swings and it feels natural. I will post my On court experience. May be this concept with the ball machine will get me the backhand I am looking for.

While “drawing the sword from sheath”, I came across this article by Peter Bodo. In here he suggests recreational tennis players work on Inside-In, Inside-out forehands than spending time on learning a 1HBH that only few can hit with command. Unlike what he says, I DO run around a lot on my backhands and work forehands. My offense runs on Forehand and I don’t expect that will change anytime soon. I actually feel very happy whenever I hit Inside-in/Inside-out forehands.

No comments: