Monday, March 24, 2008

Getting Ready for Outdoor Tennis

I haven’t posted in a while as stuff at home kept me very busy. I did not play any Tennis and my badminton performance is average at the best. I am losing to players I used to comfortably beat before. I am not too overtly concerned as I know some of the reasons. I am trying to hit the Badminton Bird (shuttle) as if I am hitting a Tennis ball with a low to high motion and often with topspin finish. This usually sets up the bird to be hit by opponent. Most of my opponents are now picking my Backhand. In the past I used to run around and force the shot with my forehand. These days I am content on trying to hit with a backhand as I know in the long run it will help me improve my backhand. My smashes aren’t effective sometimes as I am more emphasizing the back scratch position (like Tennis serve).

So even though my Badminton game isn’t great guns at the moment, my moment on the court is crisp. I am still doing my work outs. I dropped a few pounds and I am doing weights to improve strength. I have incorporated some special exercises to focus on Abs and core. Cardio is great.

I am basically getting ready for Outdoor tennis. I am very keen on taking my tennis game to the next level and some of the steps I have taken above will help me accomplish that goal. I have watched lot of Indian Wells Tennis (pacific Life Open) and observed some great strategies by Nadal and Mardy Fish. I watched one of my favorite players Juan Carlos Ferrero in his victory to Quarter finals (he lost to another favorite player David Nalbandian).

The biggest concern I have for Tennis season is the schedule. Between Day care, wife’s career and my own, lawn mowing, gardening, it will be tough to squeeze out lot of time for Tennis. I will be happy if I can play twice a week (may be 3 times with an optimistic look). I also need to carve out some Ball machine sessions. I haven’t bought it yet but I have narrowed down my choices. If I can get an Ebay machine for 500$ , I will take it. Otherwise I will buy the Silent partner Lite (goes for 675) with the oscillator (helps spray the ball side ways) and Spin (helps simulate topspin and slice). I will wait until the outdoor season heats up (probably late April – early May).

I pulled a neck muscle last Thursday. Luckily Ibuprofen and lot of IcyHot helped. I recovered to probably 90%.

Schedule and weather permitting, I will attempt to play some outdoor tennis with Jack. If this week doesn’t work out I am sure the next week will.

No comments: