Monday, November 2, 2009

Monday Tennis Preview (02 Nov 09)

The draw for Monday (02 Nov 09) is out. True enough, I am playing at 7pm but got a tough draw. I have never played two of these players and the other one was Dave against whom I have a 1-2 record. None of these players dropped below 7 pm so far this season (Dave is a perennial 7 pm’er). While the situation for me is similar to last week, where I knew only player of the three, the difference is in their playing styles. A baseline-baseline game is definitely to my liking but Dave doesn’t play that. Looking at his record against other players, he has dominated so far and I will be lucky to get out with 3 or 4 games against him. I never played Paul (S) and Vishwas and judging by their record so far, they are equally tough to contend with. I need my serve to hold up and probably also take some big cuts with forehand. If I stay at 7 pm, I consider it to be an excellent result. Sure, I do want to challenge the best of the best. But around January time frame and I want to use the time in between to round up my game as much as possible.

Jack is playing at the top of 0830 and he has an excellent chance to move up to 7. So far Rich (twice) and Me (once) have been his road blocks for 7 pm but Jack has given himself so many opportunities that its only a matter of time before he hits purple patch. Lets not forget that he is a former #1 in this ladder and knows what it takes to get to the top. His draw has him against Rich, Wayne and Dave. He should have no trouble handling Dave and his consistency should prove too much for Wayne. Rich would be the iffy match for him but if anyone can handle Rich, Jack would be one among them.

No comments: