Monday, April 7, 2008

River Race 2008

This weekend two colleagues of mine participated in the Kayak/Canoe race in the local river. I love all sports but only played a few. I went with my family to watch the race as we thought it might be fun. It’s a bit windy and cold but we did have fun. I got a better sense of appreciation for the participants. It is quite competitive and fun at the same time. Age wasn’t a factor as I have seen lot of people from different age groups compete. We saw them off the starting point and then we went to one of the vantage points to see the boats coming across the Rapids. It is really fun to watch the boats chase each other as well as maneuvering across the rapids.From the safety of the banks it looks very easy…just like Tennis. Once you start actually doing it, you realize how tough it is.

Both my friends did great in the race. One of them finished third (he did the doubles with his brother) and other one raced alone, finished in the Top 20 or so. If I ever participate (I and my wife did discuss the possibility of trying it next year) I will be glad just to finish it.

You can read about it here http://mangolds.blogspot.com

I got some photos from the race and I will post them soon once I obtain permission.

No On court tennis last weekend, my schedule didn’t allow on Saturday and weather didn’t cooperate on Sunday. I did catch up with the action in Sony Ericsson open at Miami, Florida.

I have officially moved out of the ladder. With the outdoor weather improving significantly I expect the outdoor tennis season to pick up steam real soon. My schedule will be a tough thing to mange though. Given my work and family commitments, I will be on a two week schedule with one week significantly busier than other. Still I am committed to playing as much tennis as possible. I want to play in the top most part of next year’s ladder and I want to do it by having a great forehand, great serve and decent back hand besides the intangibles.

Despite all the fitness, weight work I did, I still need to drop probably 1-1.5 pounds to have my BMI will be in the Normal category. Phew..

1 comment:

Jack said...

Wow...big news...The Gummaluri's may consider the Hock! I'll need to see it to believe it..