Monday, April 21, 2008

Real Outdoor Tennis 4/18,4/20

The Spring weather finally broke through and this past weekend was all about sun and 70 degree weather. I played Jack on Friday and then again on Sunday. On Saturday it was all family time for me.

I can’t explain the joy of playing in warm outdoor weather. It feels so different and natural.

Both sessions had similar outcome and for most part played out similarly. On Friday I won 6-3 and 6-2. My serve is yet to heat up and I barely got ball into play. What kept me going were the passing shots. JC tried to approach the net on few occasions and I managed to hit some good passing shots. Honestly I was surprised by some of those shots myself because they aren’t that easy to execute. There were lots of service breaks and it all boiled down to who can hold their serve. The second set was trickier as we had some wind factor. I tried to use wind to my advantage and I managed to pull through the set 6-2.

The score board doesn’t always tell the real story. JC was playing very well for the first few games and his vastly improved ground strokes were dictating the play. I had to change my game plan and made a tactical adjustment and the move immediately paid off.

On Sunday it was windy from the start though it went for worse as the match progressed. My serve is a little better though the wind didn’t help me. One side of the court , it is almost unplayable. Any amount of power or if you slightly float the ball, wind carries the ball out. So any chances of hitting the ball closer to the lines are out and its almost like one side of the court is smaller than other. On the other side , one can take really big cuts at the ball and the ball will still land in play- a factor I used successfully to break JC’s serve in the last game to win the second set when he was up 40-0.The final score was 6-4 and 6-2.

I have some positive take away. While my serve is long way off my backhand isn’t. I can now hit my backhand with power and I can go cross court as well as down the line. I need to be more consistent and also need to improve my range. I need to be more comfortable hitting the low and high balls on my backhand. Now that I have a ball machine (it arrived this AM) I can groove in on my shots and take my game one notch up. I also felt better that my level of play is improving as the match progressed and had little trouble in second sets.

This week is a busy week and I don’t think I can get any tennis action until Friday. I do have Badminton on Wednesday which I can skip (or reduce the time) which I am not planning on unless I am curious enough to take the ball machine out. I am also considering a 30 minute serving session on Wednesday.

I am also impressed by the fact that my team LosAngeles Lakers got the top seed in the crazy NBA western conference and won their first game against Denver Nuggets. I love to see Kobe Bryant win one or more NBA championship Rings.

No comments: