Monday, April 14, 2008

The Ball machine that nearly was…

On Friday I played with Jack Indoors. The weather outdoors was very cloudy and we thought it might rain and opted indoors though in the hindsight we could have easily played outdoors (if we ignored the occasional gusts).

We arrived late and hence started the match right away after an abbreviated warm up session. Jack ended up winning 7-5. I didn’t play badly but didn’t play good enough to win. Just about every game went to Deuce and I managed to hold my serve only once in 4 tries. Some of that may have to do with my opponent who moved me side –side and front – back. Little bit of chip and charge, few shots that skidded off lines, some Serve and Volley he did it all. My topspin shots lacked depth and ended up as sitters. My only take away is that I liked the way I played my backhand. I discovered a few interesting things I can do with it.

I definitely can use a practice session for my Serves. Probably sometime this week I am going to do that. I am not too worried about rest of my game ..Yet.

I went on the Big auction site and fell for a misrepresenting bid on a ball machine. This machine is selling almost 70-80$ cheaper than comparable ones and I though I am getting a great deal. The Bid was later on cancelled and meant nothing.

This frustrated me enough that I am almost willing to put money on a new machine. Having watched the used ball machine market for quite some time now, I can see that these machines hold their value for money. I can use this machine for a year and can still sell it for a 100$ or so less. The way I see it, 100$ is a fair price for a ball machine for 1 year. Probably within next few days I will decide.

This week except for Tuesday is looking good from weather and scheduling perspective. I am still planning to play Badminton on Wednesday. There are only 4 sessions left this season and I like to play them all.

No comments: