Friday, January 15, 2010

Top seeds withdraw-- (Eric and Jack pull out)

Eric and Jack pulled out of the ladder effective today. Inside sources report that unresolved sponsorship issues forced the topseeds pull out. This change is all set to alter the landscape of the monday night ladder for the rest of the season. Eric's been undisputed number #1 at the top of the ladder. Jack's pull out is expected as he made his plans clear to his fans last week when he indicated that next monday would be his official last match for winter season.

With me scheduled to pull out from last week of January, the ladder will look much different in february. There will be three open spots at the top of the ladder and more importantly the exit of two counter punchers (Jack and me) will make many players draw easy and the #1 spot is within reach for many other players as Vishwas remains the only consistent top seed. While it is tempting for me to stay longer in the ladder and become the #1, i want to look at the big picture. I dont want to be #1 in a weak ladder. The objective for me in joining the winter ladder is to improve my game and match up against the best. In this ladder, i matched up against everyone but Eric (and Vishwas). My next steps would be to improve my game , work on the weaker areas, re tool and come back for another shot at the players of that calibre. I believe

I still plan to sub alternate weeks. Unless there is a major development, My current plan is to play on Jan 18, Feb 1 and Feb 15. After Jan 18 session, I will be in rebuilding mode. I plan to rebuild my forehand and i want to use the remaining 3 or 4 sessions to test a few things out and have the plan ready for Outdoor season in April. I will also be working on my fitness --especially adding some muscle.

This developments also mean that Jack and me may not meet again the winter ladder. We are exploring the slight possibility of playing each other while sub'ing.

In Summary, Its been a great run for Jack. He struggled a bit during early phase of the ladder but picked up steam in December (he always does!) , quickly became a fixture at the top of the ladder, became #2 and came within a whisker of reclaiming his #1 ranking. There are several players in the ladder who would exchange their season for jack's in a heart beat. Though primarily a counter puncher, He is one of the few "All court" players in the ladder and is very comfortable at the net as well as baseline.

Hope to see him back soon.....

No comments: