Monday, December 3, 2007

Its Cold!

Due to the right wrist injury worry, I was hoping that I could rest the wrist and focus on cardio for the past 4 days. Instead I spent time resting in my bed. Our whole family came down with cold and I was particularly miserable. Saturday night was worse. Even my Blood pressure went up a bit and I was genuinely worried. After some serious dose of Dayquil and Nyquil (my favorite medicines apart from Tylenol, Mortin) , I felt a little better. I almost called in sick to work but Dayquil helped me a bit there.

So my preparations for tonight Tennis are less than optimal. I find myself in the same situation as before (Nov 5 tennis) where I qualified for top bracket of 0830 ladder and played there sick and reported a dismal score of 5 games out of 21. Will there be an Encore performance? I hope not. I decided not to call in a sub. I will play it on my own terms and take whatever result I get.

Its hard enough to play the “Slice meisters” and a bunch of other “better” players. Now I have to play them with Cold and less than perfect wrist. But I decided not to change any of my game plans or etc. Just go there and try to enjoy. Even if I do badly I don’t have to worry because my results against bottom half have shown that I am only 1 session away from knocking the top bracket and playing these guys.

I watched USA win the Davis Cup against Russia. Except for the James Blake – Mikhael Youzhny match, rest of the results are fairly predictable. USA played very well to deserve the 32 Davis Cup. Andy Roddick has been a warrior for a long time and its time he got one. He is often looked over when compared to the likes of Roger federer and Rafael Nadal but Roddick always played in Davis Cup, representing his country even through his injuries.

One observation on Tennis Doubles. It sucks. Especially when I watched the Davis cup doubles between Mike Bryan/bob Bryan Vs Igor Andreev/Davydenko. There are no rallies. All the players do is stand at the net and wait to whip the volley. No wonder they don’t get tired. Passing shots are like discovering snow flakes in July. If one has a big serve, there is no telling the easier time your doubles partner is going to have. How about a Ivo Karlovic/ John Isner doubles team. I doubt if we see even a single rally.

After today, I will be left with two more Tennis sessions (10, 17) and 3 badminton Sessions (5,12,19) before I go on vacation. I am assuming that Dec 24 Tennis session will not happen as it is Christmas Eve. That is one of the reasons why I am playing today as it will be a long break before I play again (Jan 28 tennis or more realistically Jan 30 Badminton).

No comments: