Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tennis Results 01 Mar 2010 -- Sinking Ship?

Despite warm march weather, i had a lame duck session this Monday. I only won 6 games yet i managed to stay up due to Substitutions.

Its only after i started warming up , i learnt that Paul isnt showing up and Steve substituted for him. In the past, i had beaten Steve handily and while i am no longer playing close to the levels of tennis i played during Nov-Dec-Jan, I expected to handle him. Instead i was troubled by his cotton puffy shots and crafty slices. I struggled with my movement and serve. Its a long match, to say the least. We played 7 games for 45 minutes and in the end i lost 3-4.

I played Carl next and it was complete contrast. We went with serve first couple of games. I had oppurtunity to go up 3-1 when carl offered a break point (I was leading 2-1 and carl was serving) but i couldnt convert and we stayed with serve until 3-3. I surrendered my serve meekly in the last game to go down 3-4.

For the first time, i encountered Tom who is probably the best player in the ladder. He joined a few weeks ago and took time to move up the deep ladder (it takes 5 weeks before one can make it to top of 7 pm when starting down the ladder). I didnt win any games against him but i got several games at Deuce, though i didnt convert. He is more consistent and has good top spin ground strokes. His serve isnt over powering. I have good enough game to handle him though it is hard for someone to believe it when they saw me playing yesterday. We ran out of time when i was trailing 0-4.

As it turns out, Tim handled Steve well (7-0) and kind of helped me stay up at top of 7 pm.

I am disappointed on several fronts. I only hit a couple of winners but they werent strategic. I hit good backhand shots but nothing aggressive. I felt so tired playing Steve and i cant explain this either considering that i am putting lots of time on treadmill.

I have a few excuses/reasons/injuries that may explain some of these lack lusture results but neverthless bad performance. Ofcourse, when i embarked on this "improvement" strategy, i expected some nights where i would be off but when i actually had "off" , it was troubling. I guess i have to live upto it.

I will break from the ladder end of March. With four more sessions left in this month, i guess i will play two of them. I am thinking of playing atleast one (or two) of these at 0830 Pm against guys who return the ball back softly so that i can groove my topspin forehand. Its hard to get that kind of practice at top of 7 pm as the guys are too consistent and play deep.

Weather wise coming weekend looks promising and i am considering the possibility of outdoor tennis.

No comments: