Thursday, October 22, 2009

Next Monday draw released- Conspiracy Theories abound

The draw for next Monday evening came out and it gave plenty for Conspiracy theorists to ponder around. I am pretty sure this draw is going to cause some concerns amongst the players as well.

As expected, I moved up a block. The shocker was Jack stayed put at top of 0830. This development means that the marquee match up of Jack and me takes place next week (assuming we both commit to playing) albeit at 0830 as opposed to primetime 7 pm. Tennis fans all over would be disappointed to see us playing on what’s equivalent to a court 13 at Usopen at Flushing meadows Or Court 11 at Wimbledon as opposed to an Arthur Ashe at Us open or Centre court at Wimbledon. Some fans even likened this to Sampras and Agassi meeting in Quarter finals instead of much later in the draw.

These theories aren’t completely with out reason. Rich and Jack are two former #1’s in the draw playing low down the order at 0830. Rich despite topping the group last few weeks chose to stay at 0830. However this week, he moved up to 7pm and we are not sure why.

The draw is now written in stone and barring any substitution/retirement scenarios, Jack and I will have to square off. The bad news is that only one of us can move up to 7pm. The good news is that Jack and I have a combined 50% percent chance of moving up. We will play with Rob and Dave. I haven’t played them but I believe Jack did. This means Jack probably has a slight edge as he has played against all the 3 players he is going to face Monday.

I also like my chances though not by much. It largely depends on my serve and forehand staying consistent. I am not particularly known for jumping right off the gate and this format where every game matters wont bode particularly well for me. If I can repeat the start I had last Monday, I have an excellent opportunity to move up-again. As long as I don’t drop down, it will be a good result for me.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Fans will be breathlessly awaiting a result. Does this mean your match won't be televised?