Monday, December 8, 2008

Dropped down from Primetime (+ Preview of 08 Dec)

I didn’t play too well last week and only won 6 games. This wasn’t enough to keep me at the Top and I once again dropped down to bottom half of 7 pm.

The key issue was an injury I sustained during my 16 game performance. I hurt my serving shoulder and I can still feel the pain. I didn’t consider skipping last week but I am this week. If not for the threat of playing at 0830 , I would have skipped today.

I started with Dave and despite the fact that I didn’t get my first serve working managed to keep it tight till 3-3 though we exchanged a break of serve. In the 7 game, at Duece, Dave challenged my serve on the AD court. Till then I didn’t get a good first serve but I got an Ace down the T to win 4-3.

Then I went down hill. Rich killed me with a 7-0 drubbing. Since my serve wasn’t working, my forehand isn’t what it used to be, I have very little options to trouble Rich and he is in a good flow.

I thought I needed to win big off Luciano to have any hopes of staying up. He consistently sent the ball back and I never got a first serve in. It stayed neck to neck until 2-2 and then I lost the next 3 games. On another day, I would have atleast beat Luciano. Rich is certainly playing above my level and I don’t have a lot of respect for Dave’s game.

This injury to Shoulder also hurt my Badminton game. I had to wait until my very last match to win. Normally I win 70%-80% of my matches.

That brings me to this week. I will playing Jack/Carl and Dan. On paper I have a good chance but it assumes I serve well. I am on Tylenol and Bengae all day and we will see if it helps my game. All of them are equally dangerous players and work their opponent very well and can easily take over the match in a flash. All of them have some options to hurt their opponent be it jack with his Variety and Counter punching or Carl with a very well rounded attacking game or Dan with his lefty Forehand. My conservative view is that today’s winner is most likely between Dan or Jack while myself or Carl will drop down.

Bottom line for me… No Serve No games

No comments: