Monday, October 27, 2008

Badminton 10/22 and Tennis Preview 10/27

My confidence hasn’t been too good lately and I am not sure how to fix my game woes. So I went to badminton with very limited expectations—after all just about everyone is beating me at just about every sport these days. I don’t think I have that much left in tank either after Monday tennis and Tuesday Swimming.

To my surprise, my badminton showed some signs of revival. My signature shot – Forehand smash came to life and I started enjoying the game. I rely on few shots (and I am not skilled enough to have a lot of shot options) and if they don’t work, my goose is cooked, boiled, fried and roasted. I dominated with Smashes and with my movement and though I didn’t count I probably ended up with a winning ratio of 80% or so.

I am not sure if I can fix my Tennis troubles so easy. I am missing easy forehands and I am way off mark on my down the line shots. My tennis game relies on 3 important factors. Movement, Forehand and Serve. Though painful, my game can usually handle if serve or Forehand goes off but not both. My game cannot handle loss of movement. Last year around this time, I am whipping forehand passing shots off net rushers and hitting inside-ins like crazy. I also had few good serving days which allowed me to dominate most of the opponents—sometimes serving them off the court. Now that’s past. For the past few weeks, I cannot buy myself a decent forehand pass or a reliable serve (except for a moment or two).

I still play at 7pm this week due to technicality (I may remain at 7 next week as we have a Sub this week). I will be playing Paul /Carl and Sub. I have won handily against Paul and Carl last season though Paul handed me a 5-2 drubbing last week. My game plan is pretty much to try and enjoy the game. I don’t expect to dominate today and my target is to win 8 games.

It is a long winter season and I have plenty of time to rebound and enter into the prime time. For a change I won’t be playing Jack, the Tennis Samurai this week. He entered into the prime time for his excellent play last week. Who knows it may be a while before we play- especially if he sets up a base at the top quarter.

No comments: