Friday, February 1, 2008

Badminton 30 Jan and Tennis Feb 04 Preview

With not much to write about Tennis on Monday, I wasn’t expecting any different results at Badminton. In summary it was a mixed bag. Still jetlagged and tired, I started off Ok, went south in between and recovered some what towards the end. I didn’t have any offense and people jumped all over on my serve. They also exploited my back hand. I wasn’t getting any power on my smashes and pretty much struggled to keep up. Unlike my Tennis game, which is still in development, my badminton game is more formed and reliable and I expect that within a week or two, normality will be restored.

The draw for next Monday’s tennis is out. Surprise – I am still in the top bracket of 0830. Not sure how I managed to stay afloat despite winning a low number of games. Probably other results went in my favor.

Here is the challenging part. My next weeks draw is tough. I play Ramon, Warren and Jack and I have a loosing record against all of them (* I won initially against Warren but off late he is dominating. I had an edge against Jack during last summer but that’s history and I am yet to win against him in the ladder). I want to correct my record at least against one of them. One needs loads of stamina and fire power to stay with Ramon and Jack as both of them can play solid defense and attack very well. Jack is a quick mover and that adds to the challenge. If I am consistent, I can probably take out Warren but he is on a hot streak and has a great disguise on his backhand. It’s tough to tell if he is going cross court or Down the Line.

Some part of those losses is due to me trying to go on the offensive instead of letting the game play itself out. I sure can win points by playing defense and waiting for an unforced error from the opponent. However it is more satisfying for me to win points by hitting an inside-in forehand winner or by power serving. It’s just that I don’t have that much consistency in that type of game yet. So many times I reach 40-0 on my serve or break my opponent to get to that score line and then falter handing the game to my opponent. I should start playing smart tennis mixing up offense with defense.

I haven’t done anything in fitness area for the past 5 weeks. I am planning on working out Friday and Sunday (may be Saturday as well) and try to get to fitness ways.

I am relishing the challenge and despite some factors (fitness, match practice) that aren’t optimum as I would like, I think I can win decent number of games on Monday night.

No comments: