Wednesday, October 31, 2007

In Pursuit of Fitness

Wednesday’s are my favorite days during winter. It’s Badminton time and I really enjoy the sessions and I can take a break from Gym. They are even more enjoyable if One is Fit. Unlike singles, badminton doubles is not very tiring. Badminton game is all about wrist and finesse. I play neither. I play what I call as Power brand badminton very similar to that of tennis played by one of my favorite tennis player Rafael P Nadal. I chase down shots as if I am on a tennis court and overpower opponents with powerful smashes. I derive great satisfaction when my opponents fully aware that a smash is coming and can’t do anything about it. Some good players may return a smash or two but my policy has always been, when on offense, don’t back off!

In order to play with that power and do the running like I do (In Badminton, one doesn’t need to run if they have sound foot work, which I don’t. The entire court can be covered in two steps from the centre) for 2+ hours, one needs to be really fit.

I have been very regular at my home Gym and haven’t missed a single evening in the past two weeks (except Wednesdays). I can see remarkable improvement in my Cardio fitness, some drop in body weight, general overall improvement in muscle strength. I feel very good about my fitness and received further boost by the remarks of my wife indicating that I have become slim.

A good test would be tonight and see how “game/Match” fit I am. In the past when I embarked on weights and muscle building, I had tough time playing games like Tennis /Badminton for a few weeks. The muscles are stiffer and that impacted the shots. I took extra precautions this time and did lot of stretching.

There is a chance that I may not play Tennis next week either due to a scheduling conflict. I am trying to resolve it and will know by tomorrow. I really want to play and access my game and fitness levels to further tune my exercise regime. I am very confident that with where I am right now, I have more than enough juice to outlast anyone for 1.5 +hours.

No comments: